You can get a protective order when courts are closed

In our previous blog post, we discussed how some people might need a protective order when they leave an abusive relationship. It is important to note that you aren’t required to have an attorney represent you for these cases; however, it can behoove you to have one there to present your side in a manner that shows your requests are within the legal bounds applicable to your case.

We know that you are under a lot of stress right now. You may be worrying about how you are going to go forward with your life from this point.You also have to worry about your safety and that of your children if you are a parent. We know that is a lot to think about, and we want to make the process as easy for our clients as possible.

If you feel like you are in danger, you don’t have to wait for the courts to open. You can file an interim order that will provide you with protection until you are able to have a temporary order hearing (within 48 hours). To do this, you should visit the court commissioner for the county where you reside. It’s important to note that your abuser doesn’t even have to be notified prior to the interim order being issued.

Even if you do get an interim order without a lawyer, we can still help you address other issues related to your separation or divorce. We can file for spousal support from your abuser if the two of you were married, as well as see that the necessary child support documents get filed if you are parents of minor children.

Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270