Post-Divorce Considerations

A divorce can be brutal. It ends a marriage, splits assets in half and requires a lot of money. By the time the divorce is finalized, it leaves the couple, their children and everyone else involved emotionally drained.

When the day comes that you receive your divorce decree, you may be overjoyed. However, the hard work isn’t done yet. You may be overwhelmed about everything, but there are still post-divorce considerations. Here is some more paperwork you may need to contend with.

Medical Insurance

If you had medical insurance before the divorce, that might change now. If you carried the insurance, you will need to notify the insurance company about your change in marital status so you don’t continue to cover your ex-spouse and pay his or her premium. If you were on your spouse’s insurance, you’ll need to find your own policy now.

Retitling Assets

If you received the marital home or a vehicle in the divorce, you’ll need to change the titles so they reflect your name only. You don’t want your ex-spouse to have any claim in your assets. The same applies for the mortgage and any auto loans. Insurance policies should also be in your name only. You can change the title of your home through a quit claim deed. For vehicles, contact the DMV for the appropriate forms. Make these changes as soon as possible.

Changing Beneficiaries

If you have retirement accounts and life insurance policies, you should change the beneficiaries so your ex-spouse doesn’t get money from your death. Choose another family member as beneficiary. You may not even need life insurance policies right now.

Close Joint Accounts

If you have joint bank accounts and credits cards with your ex-spouse, close them right away. This includes any utility bills. You will then need to move your money to a new bank account. If you have direct deposit, be sure to inform your employer and other entities. If you want a new credit card, you’ll have to apply for one in your name only.

Estate Planning

If you have a will or trust, make sure it is updated. Remove your ex-spouse from the documents and replace him or her with another family member.

Name Change

If you plan to change your name after the divorce, let the court know. In Maryland, you can get your name changed as part of the divorce decree. You will then need a copy of this decree to give to other agencies, such as DMV and Social Security. After a divorce, you can always petition for a name change in your local court.

Contact a Maryland Family Law Attorney Today

Just because your divorce has been finalized doesn’t mean that the divorce process is over. There are other matters you must think about.

Confused about the next steps? The Columbia divorce lawyers at the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A. can guide you through post-divorce issues. Don’t neglect them. Schedule a consultation by calling (410) 774-5987 or filling out the online form. We have two offices to serve you.


Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270