Child support modifications may help you avoid legal issues

In one of our recent posts, we discussed how courts don’t usually monitor how child support is spent. We also discussed some of the things that these payments might be used to cover. Still, having to pay child support can sometimes be a challenge. We know that life can throw curveballs and things happen that are beyond your control. In some cases, such as if you lose your job or face a big pay cut, you might be able to have the child support order modified to reflect the new circumstances.

You might be reluctant to seek a child support modification because you want to provide for your child. The reality is that you also have to meet your own needs. That is when you have to make the difficult decision about whether you will seek a modification or not.

It is important that you think of this — if you don’t seek a modification and can’t continue to pay as ordered, you can face legal issues. If that is a possibility, it might be better to seek the modification to protect yourself. If you can still afford to spend more money on your children than what is ordered, that’s great. If you find that you can only pay the lower child support amount, you won’t face any legal trouble.

We know that this isn’t something you really want to do. You want to support your child. We are here to help you explore the options that you have so that you can make an informed decision about what you are going to do.

Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270