Maryland Multiple DUI Violations
As anyone who has been arrested for driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol knows, the consequences can be severe. It follows, therefore, that the consequences for repeat violations would be even more severe. If you’ve been arrested for multiple DUI violations, then the best thing you can do is to find the right attorney to advocate for your interests in court.
Consequences for Multiple Violations
Judges can have little patience for repeat offenders. In their view, the court’s original intervention should have been a sufficient wake-up call. Even if there are extenuating circumstances involved, defendants facing repeat offenses are at a distinct disadvantage in the legal system. For those facing multiple DUI violations in Maryland, the repercussions can include:
- Jail time: A second offender may face up to one year in prison.
- Revocation or suspension of one’s license: Second offenders may be forced to part with their license for nine to twelve months.
- Community service.
- Harsher fines: A second offender may be required to pay $500 in penalties.
- Automatic felony DUI charges
- License restrictions, where it becomes illegal for someone to operate a vehicle with any alcohol in their blood whatsoever.
- Eight points added to a second offender’s license.
- Ignition Interlock Device: An offender must install this device which requires them to blow into a breathalyzer before the car will start. Participants are required to pay for the installation and maintenance of the system, which is usually in use for one year.
- Having your car impounded.
- Facing civil suits if you injured someone else while operating a motor vehicle under the influence.
As you can see, these court actions can seriously impact one’s life. One’s ability to gain employment, secure housing, exercise one’s right to vote, and enjoy the freedom of the open road could all be at risk in these cases.
Finding the Right Multiple DUI Lawyer in Glen Burnie and Columbia
If you’ve been arrested for multiple DUIs, then the stakes are exceptionally high. You need effective counsel on your side. At the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, PA, our legal team has the experience and dedication necessary to successfully navigate your case through the legal system. That’s because we offer a tailored approach and strategy for each one of our clients. Remember, the law is the great equalizer. If there are relevant witnesses out there who can support your case, we can find them. If there is documentary evidence that will exonerate you, we can find it. If your arresting officer failed to follow protocol, we can effectively use that to support your case in a court of law. If you were pulled over without probable cause, then we can move to have your case dismissed. In short, we have the knowledge and tenacity necessary to look at every angle of your case and move forward to execute an effective strategy on your behalf. Call today to learn more and to speak with someone from our legal team.