How can I work with my ex to solve child custody issues?

One of the possible ways that child custody issues can be solved is by you and your ex working together to find solutions. This can be done in two ways. One of these is through alternative dispute resolution. The other is informal negotiations. These can each work, but it is crucial to find the method that works best for your case.

What is alternative dispute resolution?

Alternative dispute resolution is a process that uses mediation and arbitration to handle the disputes. When ADR is used, mediation is the most commonly used process. Arbitration is very seldom used for child custody cases. In the case of ADR, a third-party professional works with you and your ex to reach accord. The mediator doesn’t make decisions; instead, he or she assists you and your ex with developing a workable agreement. If arbitration is used, the arbitrator will make decisions after reviewing information and hearing from both sides.

What is an informal negotiation for child custody matters?

An informal negotiation for child custody matters occurs if you and your ex can work together. When you agree on the issues at hand, the resolutions will be put into writing. After all of the points are decided and included on the written agreement, the agreement will be presented to a judge for approval. If it is approved, it becomes an enforceable order.

It is crucial that you understand how each of the choices you make will affect your child. If you have questions, you should make sure that those are answered ahead of time by your family law attorney.

Source: FindLaw, “Working Together to Resolve Custody,” accessed April 08, 2016

Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270