Enforcing your divorce settlement

There’s a delicate balance to be found after divorce when you are still somewhat connected to your ex, such as through kids, business or real estate. If you and your ex are on somewhat good terms, then you may be inclined to help each other out or do things that the divorce settlement doesn’t require.

However, when the relationship between exes is strained, you must be sure that the terms set forth by that divorce agreement prevail. You should make an effort to fully understand what your divorce settlement says. Your attorney will be the one who will draft it for you, so he or she is the best source to go to with questions.

If there comes a time when there is a dispute, the divorce settlement is what the courts will follow. The judge isn’t there to make changes to your divorce settlement. He or she is there to make sure that the legal and binding contract that your divorce agreement is meant to be will be upheld.

If you think that you don’t have the ability to handle a divorce agreement dispute legally, then you should go back to your attorney. Don’t try to handle it on your own.

It’s also important to remember that there can be modifications made to a divorce agreement, but that requires having a hearing to do so. Some high asset divorces often end up back in court in order to petition the court for a change. It’s best to enforce your divorce agreement, though, especially if you feel it is in your favor. Sticking to the agreement can save yourself a lot of headaches.

Source: Huffington Post, “You & Your Divorce Settlement Agreement – BFFs,” Al Corona, July 12, 2016

Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270