Can I Get My Ex to Pay More Child Support?

If you live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland or the surrounding neighborhoods, and you are trying to get by as a single parent, you’ve probably felt the pinch of financial strain. The cost of living is rising quickly, and it’s not uncommon for noncustodial spouses to hide assets or under-report income to avoid paying the correct amount of child support. But before you rush to the courthouse to seek additional support, make sure you understand what is a good reason to seek child support modification and what is not a good reason.

For help calculating the proper amount of support and enforcing your support order, call the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A. today.

Bad Reasons to Fight for Support Modification

Many times, parents fight very hard to get more time with their kids during a divorce. After the fight is over and a court has decided (or the parents have agreed in writing), things can change. Maybe one side has a change of heart and decides they don’t want to bring the child to visitation on time. Perhaps one side starts underpaying child support. Whatever the issue, lingering ill will can lead to a lot of ongoing problems. Here are some reasons you should NOT seek child support modification.

  • The paying spouse frequently shows up late to visitation or custody swaps – This is regrettable and unfortunate for sure, but it’s not a reason for child support modification. Support and visitation are not really a quid pro quo (“this for that”) scenario. In this situation, you should petition the court to enforce the custody and visitation arrangement instead.
  • Your ex brags about his or her new partner – Just because your ex has a bad attitude or brags about new partners or his or her fun new life does not mean they are making more money. It also does not necessarily give you the right to increase their support obligations.
Good Reasons to Fight for Support Modification

On the other hand, there are a few good reasons why you may want to petition the court for modification of child support. If you are the custodial parent and you receive support for a minor child, consider taking action in any of the following situations:

  • New Resources – If your ex has a new job that you suspect pays significantly more money than before, you may want to ask for more child support.
  • Extraordinary Medical Expenses – If one of the children is suffering an extensive medical issue that requires substantial outlays of funds, you may want to seek modification of child support.
  • Circumstances Change – Perhaps your ex was initially living with someone else and was responsible for caring for other children at the time support was calculated, but you learn that the relationship ended and your ex is no longer responsible for other children. This may be a good reason to seek modification of support as well.
Contact an Experienced Child Support Modification Attorney

Throughout Anne Arundel, Howard, and Baltimore Counties, the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A. provides caring and skilled assistance with all aspects of divorce and child support. Call today for help with your child support modification case.


Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270