3 tips for seeking a child support modification

Child support modification is something that you might have to consider if you aren’t able to keep up with your payments. If you are the parent receiving the support, you might seek a modification if you learn that your ex has gotten a substantial raise or started a new job that pays more than the old job.

Find out if your situation is one that will allow for a modification. Some minor changes won’t allow you to seek a modification, so it is important to learn if your situation is one that is substantial enough to qualify for the modification. A small raise that only nets a few hundred dollars per year likely won’t be substantial enough to warrant a modification petition.

Document the changes that are the basis of the modification. If you are the parent who is paying the child support, gather up proof of how your circumstances changed. Bring in paycheck stubs, layoff notifications and similar documentation that shows why you are seeking the child support modification. If you are the recipient parent, try to gather as much information as you can about the circumstances.

File for the modification as quickly as you can. If you are the paying parent, you should file as soon as you know that you won’t be able to pay. In the interim, keep up with payments so that you don’t have more legal issues. Child support modifications typically aren’t retroactive past the day that the petition was filed, so it is crucial that you don’t wait so long that you get very far behind on the payments.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Support Modification Tips,” accessed Jan. 11, 2017

Recent Posts



Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270