Clarksville Spousal Support Modification Lawyer

Clarksville Spousal Support Modification Lawyer

Clarksville Spousal Support Modification Attorney

Dealing with a divorce can be emotionally draining and, at times, incredibly frustrating. In addition to processing major personal changes, you might feel that the Clarksville, MD divorce decree was unfair. Modifying a divorce decree is a complicated process and cannot be done without a significant

change of circumstances. If you are interested in modifying spousal support or contesting a change of spousal support, our team of dedicated attorneys at the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, PA, can help.

Clarksville Spousal Support Modification Lawyer

What Is Spousal Support?

When a marriage comes to an end, it can be tricky to divide assets in a fair manner. In some cases of divorce, the two involved parties might negotiate how they will divide assets and agree to make payments on their own. In some other cases, when compromise is not so easy, a judge might decree that one partner has to pay the other one alimony payments, also called spousal support. The amount that you might have to pay, or that you might collect, depends on a whole host of personal circumstances, from the amount of time that you were married to the amount of money you make at your job compared to your former spouse.

The length of the alimony payments can also drastically vary from a short period to an indefinite one. Regardless of what the judge decides, once they make the decree, it is quite difficult to contest or modify it.

Conditions for Spousal Support Modifications

Maryland law only allows you to modify spousal support payments if your life circumstances significantly change. A change can lead to an increase or a decrease in payments, depending on what happened. For example, if any of the following things happen to you, then you might be able to make a change: 

  • You or your former spouse lose your job or another major source of income.
  • You or your past partner filed for bankruptcy.
  • One of you gets a large raise or some other increase in income.

If you or your former spouse passes away or marries another person, your spousal support obligations will cease. If you think that an event in your life justifies making a modification to your alimony situation, and you can prove that this change occurred, you should consult with a spousal support lawyer to get legal guidance and support for every step of the modification request process.

How to Modify a Spousal Support Agreement in Clarksville, MD

Life after a dissolved marriage is not always easy, and it is understandable to want to make changes or need help getting the payments you’re entitled to. If you want to modify a court-ordered spousal support decree, you should contact an alimony lawyer to stand up for you. You might also be making or receiving payments that the court did not order. In that case, we can help you obtain a legal order of enforcement to make sure that you get those payments or are no longer forced to make them.

FAQs About Clarksville, MD Spousal Support Modification Laws

Can Alimony Be Modified in Maryland?

Court-ordered alimony decrees are difficult to change, but life happens, and you can modify them if you have a good reason. If you experience a significant change in your life circumstances, you might be able to make changes. For instance, if you lose a job or get a new high-paying one, you might be able to see a change to your court-ordered spousal support payments. Major changes to your health can also be cause for an increase or decrease in payments.

Is Rehabilitative Alimony Modifiable in Maryland?

If you are receiving or paying rehabilitative alimony in Maryland, you can usually modify it if there is a significant change in your life circumstances. For instance, you might have to pay rehabilitative alimony while your former partner receives higher education so they can get a higher-paying job. If they get a higher-paying job earlier than expected, you might be able to request a change to your requirements.

How Do I Amend My Divorce Decree in Maryland?

If you want to amend your divorce decree in Maryland, you are in for a paperwork-heavy legal process. It’s in your interest to consult with an attorney about what to do to ensure that you have everything you need to request a change. You’ll need to:

  • Ensure that you have a good reason to request a modification.
  • Have proof of a change in circumstances.
  • File a motion requesting a change.
  • Fill out all the required forms with proof.
  • Sometimes, attend a court hearing.

How Do I Stop Alimony Payments in Maryland?

It is against the law to stop paying alimony without requesting a modification to the alimony decree. If your life has significantly changed, and you have a good reason to request the right to stop paying alimony, you will have to file a motion and be able to provide evidence of what changed. Hiring a spousal support modification lawyer is the right way to ensure that you follow all the steps of the process.

How Long Does Spousal Support Last in Maryland?

Everyone’s spousal support situation is different, and the length that yours lasts will depend on your unique situation. For example, a judge might mandate rehabilitative alimony so that one party from your marriage can become financially self-sufficient. In other situations, the judge might order indefinite spousal support, which means that there will be no predetermined end dates for the payments. If you think that a life change justifies ending your alimony payments, and you have evidence, you should consult with a trustworthy spousal support lawyer.

Get in Touch With a Spousal Support Attorney

Attempting to change a spousal support degree is no easy task. Neither is fighting back against an attempted change to a support decree. However, you do not have to go through this difficult process alone. Our team of compassionate, hard-working lawyers at the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, PA, knows how stressful this can be and is here to help you. Contact our team today if you’re ready for legal guidance.


Anne Arundel County

Empire Towers
7310 Ritchie Highway, Suite 910
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Phone: 410-766-0113

Fax: 410-766-0270

Howard County On the grounds of Columbia Mall

30 Corporate Center
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway,
Suite 900
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-964-0050

Baltimore County (Arbutus/Catonsville)

Phone: 410-719-7377

Fax: 410-766-0270