Columbia Theft Lawyer
Theft is one of the most common types of criminal charges in Maryland. Even for ‘petty’ thefts such as shoplifting, the penalties you face could potentially be severe. The greater the amount you are accused of stealing, the more likely you could be facing a lengthy jail sentence, along with a criminal record that will follow you the rest of your life. In this situation, you need an experienced Columbia theft lawyer on your side. At the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A. for more than 20 years we have been providing a strong legal defense for people charged with theft crimes. We can develop a strong strategy to help you avoid a conviction.
Howard County Theft Crimes Cases We Represent
Theft crimes involve willfully and knowingly taking possession of or exerting control over another’s property, with the intention of depriving the owner of the property or its use. Theft crimes may involve personal belongings, services, or money and funds in accounts. Under section 7–102 of the Maryland Criminal Law Statutes, theft categories include the following:
- Larceny, which is basic theft of another’s personal belongings;
- Larceny by trick, which involves making false statements;
- Larceny of trust, which involves a breach of a prior agreement;
- Embezzlement, which involves taking assets from a company or business;
- False pretenses, such as having someone hand over property without the intention of ever returning it;
- Shoplifting, which involves stealing from stores and retail centers;
- Receiving stolen property, in which you benefit from property stolen from another.
At the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A., our Columbia theft lawyers can help defend you against all manner of theft crimes. In general, the seriousness of your charges and the potential penalties you could be facing depend on what was stolen, it’s overall value, and how the crime was committed.
Maryland Theft Crimes Penalties You Could Be Facing
Theft crimes cause financial injury to victims and costs businesses millions of dollars each year. Even for a first offense, the judge may attempt to ‘make an example’ of your case by imposing the maximum sentence.
As experienced Columbia theft lawyers, we can help strategize a strong legal defense to help you avoid a conviction. Under the Maryland Sentencing Guidelines, penalties you could be facing include:
- For property less than $100: classified as a misdemeanor, penalties of up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine;
- For property between $100 and $1,500: also classified as a misdemeanor, penalties of up to six months in jail and a $500 fine;
- For property between $1,500 and $25,000: as felony charges, this carries penalties of up to five years imprisonment and fines up to $10,000;
- For property over $25,000: Imprisonment for up to 20 years and fines up to $25,000.
We Can Help You Today
At the Law Offices of Todd K. Mohink, P.A., we provide the aggressive legal representation you need to protect your rights when facing theft charges. Reach out and contact our Howard County theft lawyers at 410-964-0050 today and request a consultation to discuss your case.